07 January 2009

A Thank You to Jasmine

While hiking solo on the A.T. in November 2007, I caught my toe on a rock and did a serious faceplant into a collection of Pennsylvania rocks. As I was mid-stride at the time, my hands were tied to my trekking poles, so I landed on my side, making contact with my shoulder and my head. Did I mention the rock garden? Yeah, so my head smacked one of those rocks as I landed.

My first thought was "Oh, that was not good!" As I eased myself and my pack back into vertical orientation, my next thought was, "Angels, I need help...now!"

Solo long-distance hiking has given me an opportunity to deepen my faith, both my faith in other people on the planet and my faith in the spiritual realm. By the time of this faceplant, I was practiced at calling on angels when I needed assistance, especially my guardian angels and Archangel Michael. Practiced, because every time I called on them, they were there. This time was no different.

Not 30 seconds had passed after my request for help, when I looked up to see a woman hiking down the trail towards me. This might not have been unusual in the middle of summer, but in November there were very few other hikers on the trail.

Her name was Jasmine. Or at least that's what I remember; honestly, I'm not sure. I asked her for help and she agreed to walk with me the 1.5 miles to the next road crossing, at Little Gap. For the 45 minutes it took us to get to the road, she kept asking me questions, which not only distracted me from my injury but also allowed her to continuously assess my level of consciousness. I knew that's what she was doing, and I was grateful.

Jasmine waited with me at the road until I reached someone who would pick me up and take me to a place to stay for a couple of nights (where I iced a goose egg and endured a headache but otherwise was okay). Then she continued her own solo journey.

She was out for a four-day spiritual retreat of her own. As the ridge was blanketed with 6-10 inches of snow over the next couple of days, I thought of her often, wishing her the love and light she so generously gave me for that one hour on a Friday afternoon in November.

Jasmine, if that's your name and if by chance you ever read this, know that I will always be grateful to the angels who lead you across my path and to you for stopping and helping me. I wish I had thought to ask for your name and contact information before you hiked away; I would rather have written this note to you directly. Nonetheless, thank you. May your kindness return to you nine-fold.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all have guardian angels who guide us through the darkest of times. Sometimes we have to bang our heads on boulders - literally and figuratively - to come to the understand that there are angels among us.

    ReplyDelete